4.16.2012

My repaired Tommaso Diavolo and Zipp 303s

Blatant plug for what I've been up to with the carbon repair-

The Diavolo I raced Saturday is one of two that I found and repaired for gravel and cyclocross use.  This one is the "1" bike with the repaired top tube.  The other has a repaired stay and is set up as a cyclocross bike currently.

I also rode repaired rims.  They are circa 2010 Zipp 303 rims built by Ben Witt at Milltown using Sapim spokes laced to a Zipp front hub and a Reynolds rear hub (I got a good deal on the DT Swiss made Reynolds hub and sold the Zipp hub off prior to having the wheels built).  Both the front and rear rim were significantly repaired-  the front had a spoke pulled out of it and carbon cracking around that spoke hole, the rear had a crack along the braking surface.

The rest of the build as ridden yesterday and will continue through the Royal-

ritchey wcs cockpit plus carbon/ti devo saddle
trp euro x brakes with bontrager cork pads
7800 DA drivetrain with Sram Force 39/53 crankset and an 11-34 XT cassette
aerolite aero bars
Challenge Grifo tubulars at 38 psi

Shot of the bike again (I'll get the rest of those stickers removed when I find time, unless Zipp sends me a check in the meantime...)



They posted some more pictures of the race here-

https://picasaweb.google.com/105307884997540278003/2012Ragnarok105#

Here are a couple I stole-





4 comments:

  1. I love how you are "recycling" all that plastic stuff...Bravo on a top performance @ the Ragnorak!!!!
    Charlie

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Don't think my earlier post worked) Hi, I'm looking at a lightly used Diavolo for sale. Wondering if you'd still recommend them? Looks like a good deal for carbon and Rival. Will ride as a entry level CX racer, some gravel rides, and then all around roadie now and then. Would love your opinion. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. With the stock build I wouldn't pay more than $900 for one right now.

    I am still riding and racing mine- albeit with a bontrager fork which is much stiffer and electronic shifting etc. etc..

    They are not bad bikes.

    ReplyDelete